Change is inevitable. Growth is optional

Hello dear friends, 

I know, I know, it’s been too long since I wrote my last blog post, one year to be exact. What can I say? I never would have guessed this adulting thing would be so hard. I’m literally typing this post during my lunch break ha-ha. If you want to know what I’ve been up to the past few months. Grab yourself a drink, get comfortable on your couch and get ready.




GRADUATION 

“The tassel was worth the hassle” 

We did it! We graduated! Yes, we did because I would have never done it without your support and prayers. If you are reading this post right now, you were a cornerstone for me during my college years. I hope one day I can give back to you, the so many blessings you have given me. 

 







 

RESIDENCY/ RURAL INTERNSHIP

I graduated back in August of last year but I'm doing an internship at the moment. Here is a little summary of what a nursing student has to go through in Ecuador in order to become a nurse. After I finished classes back in June 2021. I had to give a cumulative exam and a clinical case report to graduate from college and finally get the little piece of paper that says I’ve graduated! Which I got! Afterwards I had to take an NCLEX exam, which validated my title. Once I had my license approved in September, I had to register for a one year rural internship. 


This is a program where the Ministry of health of Ecuador sends graduated nursing students anywhere in Ecuador to work at a small clinic for a whole year.  It is mandatory to serve for one year in different tasks to the national rural health plan as a prerequisite for the registration of degrees and professional practice of graduates in medicine, dentistry, obstetrics, and nursing. 

This is the internship I'm doing now; I am currently living in a small indigenous community in the highlands. I will be done in December if everything goes well. 

 

I work at a small free clinic in a little town called Guamote in the Chimborazo Province. The county is also called Guamote, is located at an altitude of 3500 meters above sea level. The average temperature is 50 °F. It’s conformed by three parishes. The main urban parish Guamote and two rural Cebadas and Palmira. Its population is approximately 23,720, within this population there are around 7,000 fertile women. The indigenous ethnic group predominates.

 


Some of my responsibilities as are Rn are: 

·      Triage: taking vitals, nursing assessments and prioritizing treatments according to the urgency of need.

·      Home care: House visits for immobilized and terminal patients, pregnant women, kids, and seniors

V     Vaccination: vaccinate people of all ages against the different diseases we have in the country that haven’t been eradicated yet. 

·      Health education: promote health and prevent diseases, disabilities and premature death through education-driven voluntary behavior change activities.








I am attaching pictures of the clinic I work at. You will notice is not as big and not too small either, it has a triage station, 6 consulting rooms, a pharmacy, vaccination room, auditorium, small kitchen, and a storage room.

 







 
Unfortunaly the restroom doesn't work. Having to hold your pee for hours is not good for you, this is why me and other coworkers got a UTI a couple months ago.πŸ˜” 







Indigenous Thursday market in Guamote

The greatest asset of Guamote is the weekly indigenous market, one of the biggest and most traditional markets in South America. Every Thursday the people from the communities come to Guamote to sell their fruit, sheep, pigs, guinea pigs, cows, hats, clothing







One of the best things of living in Guamote is the fresh fruit and veggies. All these fresh product for just $7,50 😍

If you want to look to more pictures of the indigenous market click here 
πŸ‘‰ http://www.intisisa.com/activities/thursday-market-in-guamote/

Yes, Nurses here also have to go out into the community and vaccinate dogs and cats. Thank goodness we don’t have to vaccinate cows, pigs, and donkeys because I don’t know if I could ha-ha. If you are wondering if I have been bitten, the answer is not yet, and I hope it continues that way. I have had some coworkers who have suffer some injuries while vaccinating animals.







Working for the Public Health System 


I don’t know if it’s the same in the U.S. but working in the public system here is not fun, the system is broken; there are some many things you wish you could change to make it better for patients and health care providers, but you can’t. Unfortunately, there is so little you can do during a one-year residency. 


The Lord has given me a lot of patience and humility during this time of change. I’ve learned a lot, both intellectual and spiritual. I’m still learning though. I’m learning how to not get frustrated every day for so many injustices that are going on in this small town of Ecuador and around the world. If you were here, you will realize what I’m talking about. 90% of People here live in poverty and extreme poverty. I’ve met a bunch of families when I go out into the community. It’s hard to witness how a family of 7 is living on a tiny brick house with holes on the sealing, one used mattress, no fridge, no stove, barely anything to eat. Basically, surviving thanks to their mother. 




Because of the lack of resources, no hygiene, no good nutrition, no education; they get sick with sometimes preventable diseases. When they come to the clinic, we often don’t have all the medicine they need and since they don’t have the money, can’t afford to buy it on the pharmacy. They continue being sick or getting sicker. For the lack of education and macho culture people live here, young women get pregnant. Having to quite school, sometimes move in with their partner, adding a new expense into the family and bringing a newborn to the heartbreaking reality they live in. The story continues and they can almost never get out of that cycle.









In the midst of all this suffering I’m learning how to find joy. As archbishop Desmond Tutu said on his book, The Book of Joy. “We are fragile creatures, and it is from this weakness, not despite it, that we discover the possibility of pure joy.” I’m learning how to understand there will always be suffering here on earth, yet we must have faith, knowing the pain and sorrow we have to go through here it’s nothing compared to the pure joy we will experience in heaven with our good Father. 

 

I also continue learning how to be a responsible adult, Growing in knowledge and hope. I know change is inevitable, sometimes it can be hard. At least it’s been hard for me. I have found myself going through some very personal changes (family, relationships, church, friends, job) and I’m still trying to figure it out what the Lord wants from me because I know he has a reason for everything. Often, I can feel alone, being so far away from family and friends I was once so closed to. Feeling like foreigner, like I don’t belong anymore can be challenging and rough. Maybe you have felt the same way at some point in your life. If you have, I would appreciate your wisdom and advice, if you have any. However, despite all the sadness and confusion God still finds his way to make mee feel loved and protected. I have faith that the Lord will let his light shine upon me and show me the way once more. He’s always been faithful towards me, and I have deep trust he will not let go now. 

 

I want to encourage you today to not let change damage your relationship with God and make you feel insecure. Instead, grow from it and remember you can always find rest in him. 

 

Once again thank you for much for the help you gave me and continue giving me through your prayers and support. I also want to apologize for not being so good at keeping in touch lately, I will try to be better at it. You can always find me available through iMessage, messenger, WhatsApp, or email. May God almighty bless you and protect you and your loved ones always. 

 


SOMETHING YOU CAN PRAY FOR

·      Please pray for my current job and all the responsibilities I have taken in charge.

·      Please pray for my work environment, is not the healthiest. I know not all the jobs are the dream job but somedays I have more lows than highs. 

·      Please pray for my relationship with God, that it will continue to grow, and I can find rest on him. 

·      Please pray for what’s next for me after I finish my residency next January. I still have a lot of decisions to make and new career opportunities.

·      Please pray for my church community back in Quito, for their ministries and the good work they are doing. 

·      Please pray for all the people who live in this little town, pray for all the kids, pregnant women, seniors and all the people who are constantly suffering here.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EMBRACE NEW OPPORTUNITIES

Every journey to healing begins with Hope.

Keep Going, Keep Growing.